Monday, February 14, 2011

Setting - Your Examples

We've been looking at several examples of well-written setting bits. We've looked across the writing spectrum at literary and commercial prose. We've talked about why these pieces work and how certain effects are achieved.

And now we're going to talk about your stories.

If you've been following this blog for a while, you know that we periodically open things up and ask for you to send in short examples of your work. We post those examples here (anonymously, if you prefer) and talk about what we see, what works, and how we might edit them.

Now we're going to do that with settings. Send an excerpt of no more than 150 words to edittorrent at gmail dot com if you would like me to analyze your work. Make sure this excerpt has something to do with setting because that's what we're focused on right now. If you don't expressly say you want us to identify you as the author, then it will be posted as an anonymous submission.

If you have questions about how this works, post them in the comments.

Theresa

10 comments:

Leona said...

I put my hat in the ring with permission to use my name of course!

Eva Gale said...

hmmm....

think, think, think...

green_knight said...

I'd love to send you something (albeit tomorrow when I'm fully awake) - but a hint where to send it to would be appreciated.

Leona said...

@green_knight (it's hiding :)
edittorrent @ gmail dot com :D

green_knight said...

Thanks Leona. My brain seems to have been hovering around the 30% mark last night...

Jami Gold said...

Hmm, the funny thing is that I'm having a hard time finding a excerpt to send because so much of my setting is woven with the narrative in such a way that it doesn't come in a coherent chunk. Maybe that's a good thing? :)

Still searching...

Edittorrent said...

GK, I have to do that because of the soulless spambots that scour pages for email addresses. We hates them, we doesssss.

T

Edittorrent said...

@ Jami - just look for something that incorporates a good bit of setting detail. Then we can use it to show people how you blended those elements.

T

green_knight said...

Theresa, I seem to have been asleep because I'm sure I read the post and still missed it.

You should now have my sample ;-)

Julie Harrington said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. I think it's always useful to see hands on exercises like this. I'm totally in.