Friday, November 19, 2010

Brought to You By the Letters R and U

Today at Romance University, I'm talking about the concept of Ordinary World as it applies to genre romance novels. This one comes from the FAQ files because so many romance writers struggle to understand OW concepts in our context. With good reason, too. Maybe looking at some of the differences between quest structure and romance structure will help sort it out for us. Go read the post and let me know if this angle helps at all.

One commenter will be entered in a drawing to win a spot in the December workshop.

1 comment:

Robin Lemke said...

It does help - I'm writing a book that is more of a straight-forward adventure, but it does have a romance angle, and I think it's interesting to think about that aspect of it as it's own quest, so to speak with it's own obstacles. I particularly liked the part where you said that the heroine is likely to see the hero as an obstacle to her external goals.