Sunday, May 18, 2008

Oh, Dear, Or, A Special Note For Students

I hardly ever check the blog stats, but I just did today, and what I found there prompted me to write this bit of advice to students. Yes, it's the end of the year. Yes, your teacher has given you one of those filler assignments that will keep you all busy until June arrives. But, dear young ones, sometimes you're better off with contemplation instead of google.

Our top ten search terms for the last two weeks include:
write about my strengths and weaknesses
what are my strengths and weaknesses
essay about who am I
list of character strengths

(sigh)

4 comments:

Ian said...

Hehehehe. That's very funny. If I'd had teh internets when I was in high school, I'd probably be doing the same thing. LOL

Ian

Edittorrent said...

I thought it was pretty funny, too. Who knew google was this new generation's version of phrenology.

Theresa

Rachel said...

I so totally agree with you. Intellectual laziness is a major pet peeve of mine, even though I am sometimes guilty of it too. But what REALLY gets my goat are people (not just kids and teens) who use the internet to get OTHER PEOPLE to do their homework for them. Check out Yahoo Answers and you'll see what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Of course, how can anyone actually write an essay about
"write about my strengths and weaknesses
what are my strengths and weaknesses
essay about who am I
list of character strengths"

Have we become entirely narcissic or what?
Alicia