Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What Shakespeare advises writers

Rebecca sent me this--

William's Ten
Ten Things I Learned From Shakespeare About Being a Writer

He jests at scars that never felt a wound. (Romeo and Juliet.)

I scorn to change my state with kings. (Sonnet XXIX)

If you can look into the seeds of time, and say which grain will grow
and which will not. (Macbeth)

Kill me tomorrow, let me live tonight. (Othello)

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is
winged Cupid painted blind. (A Midsummer Night's Dream)

No profit grows where is no pleasure ta’en. (The Taming of the Shrew)

Not mad, but bound more than a mad-man is. (Romeo and Juliet)

To hold, as ’t were, the mirror up to nature. (Hamlet)

We must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures. (Julius
Caesar)

Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising, haply I think on thee.
(Sonnet XXIX)

No comments: